PRS CrisisLink CareRing 2.0
PRS CareRing 2.0 is a free program of PRS CrisisLink for individuals over the age of 60 in Fairfax County who live alone. The goal of CareRing is to provide a friendly call to our clients each day to check in, have light, social conversation, and ensure the safety and well-being of our clients to make sure they have everything they need to age-in-place successfully.
The CareRing 2.0 program focuses on seniors who are at high risk of isolation, depression, and suicide. We make daily phone calls to clients, usually lasting 10 – 15 minutes. Social isolation is the leading cause of depression and suicide in the senior population, but is combated with daily phone calls from someone who is empathetic and employs active listening.
- Learn valuable skills that you can take wherever you go!
- Find meaning in giving back to the community
- Join an organization dedicated to making a huge difference in the lives of everyone in this community.
What do CareRing Volunteers do?
- Provide social and emotional support to seniors in our community
- Spread cheer and laughter. Make someone’s day every day!
- Complete depression and health screenings in order to make sure our clients have the resources they need
- Offer information and referrals to help our community stay connected
What we’re offering:
- Tools and skillsets to provide effective emotional and social support to all age groups, but in particular seniors (60+) over the phone.
- Learn of local resources available for seniors.
- A chance to increase individual’s feelings of social connectedness – a chance to make people smile!
- You will also learn intervention skills and how to implement them, suicide intervention skills, Information & Referral skills, and active listening skills.
- CareRing volunteers receive 8 hours of intensive, small group and on-the-job training to handle crisis calls. The next training is Monday, January 23 and Wednesday, January 25 at the CrisisLink call center in Arlington.
- You must be 21 years of age to volunteer with CareRing
- Must be willing to commit to at least one 3 hour shift per week after successful completion of training for one full year.
- You must be able to access reliable transportation to the PRS CrisisLink location in Arlington, VA for your weekly shift.
- Semester and year-long internships available (e-mail Mary at email@example.com for more information).
What makes a great CareRing volunteer?
People who succeed in this program show many of the following attributes:
- Concern for others
- Desire to listen to other people’s stories.
- Social Connectedness